Thrive into Work is a service offered in areas of the West Midlands that provides one-to-one support to anyone who experiences barriers to finding work because of their physical or mental health. This service is known as Individual Placement and Support (IPS). IPS offers a unique approach to employment support that empowers you to find suitable and satisfying work. Research suggests that being in regular work has positive effects on your health. If you have a health condition, being in work can help you to improve support networks and find ways to manage your health and wellbeing.
In 2018 the Public Service Reform (PSR) team at West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) managed a trial to see how effective IPS was. This trial ended in October 2020. The results from the trial showed that more than 600 people in the West Midlands had been helped to find new job roles. Without the Thrive into Work service, many of these people would have been signed-off on long term sick leave. The service can help you regain confidence, independence and a sense of purpose. The Thrive into Work programme is part of the PSR vision for a fairer, greener, healthier West Midlands.
Joining Thrive into Work will get you:
- One-to-one support to suit your needs and employment goals
- Support from your health care team to help you manage any difficulties
- Advice on benefits to find out if being in work could increase your income
- Help with finding a job if you are not in paid employment
- Continued support once you have started in a job
- Help talking to your employer about your needs at work
- Regular and ongoing support online or by phone
You can join Thrive into Work if:
- You are currently out of work, or at risk of leaving work due to sickness
- You are aged 18 or over
- You have problems finding work, or staying in a job, because of your health. This can be your physical health or your mental health.
- You live in Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Sandwell, Solihull, Coventry or Rugby and are registered with a GP in the area.
Find out more or self-refer
If you want to get help from this service, you can speak to your GP to find out more information and ask to be referred, you can self-refer by completing the form here, or you can contact the Thrive into Work team directly.
If your registered GP is in Dudley or Walsall contact:
Black Country Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Phone: 01384 324645
If your registered GP is in Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Sandwell, Solihull, Coventry or Rugby:
Phone: 07876 650357